The Pew Research Center recently published the results of a survey conducted in 2016 regarding Internet trends in the U.S. The results aren’t altogether surprising by themselves, but they do make the current state of the Internet undeniably clear: The vast majority of Americans are now interacting with the online world on a regular basis in various forms. Again, this isn’t exactly news. However, the numbers solidify the fact that the digital world is almost on par with the real world in terms of how people engage with it. Consider this data:
- 88% of U.S. adults use the Internet. That’s nearly 9 out of 10! It’s unlikely this many people even venture outside every day.
- 77% of U.S. adults own a smartphone (a huge climb from 35% in 2011).
- 73% of U.S. adults have broadband (high-speed) Internet access at home.
- 69% of U.S. adults use social media.
- 51% of U.S. adults own a tablet (up from a mere 3% in 2010).
Why You Need Local Online Advertising
If you’re a business owner, you can’t ignore the fact that almost every adult in the country uses the Internet. Having a website is the first step, but you can’t stop there. Promoting your business online through local search optimization, PPC, and/or social media advertising is critical if you want customers to discover you. If you’re not controlling your web presence or putting yourself in a position to connect with online users, then you’re missing out on countless new customers. Unfamiliar with the world of local online advertising? Here are some helpful blog posts to get you started: